Amazon Prime launched in 2005 as an Amazon membership service offering free two-day shipping.
It now has more than 150 million members across 19 countries.
Amazon Prime membership has evolved beyond free shipping. And now includes streaming, shopping and other benefits.
You’ll find out the latest information about Amazon Prime’s growth and usage in this roundup. After reading these stats, you’ll better understand how Amazon manages to generate over $25 billion from subscription fees alone.
Here’s a breakdown of what we’ll cover:
Important Amazon Prime Stats
- Amazon has over 150 million Prime members.
- Sales during Prime Day on Amazon reached $10.4 billion in 2020.
- Amazon Prime is available in 19 countries as of 2020.
- Amazon registers $25.21 billion in annual revenue from retail subscription fees.
US Amazon Prime Subscribers
AAmazon has 148.6 million Amazon Prime Members in the US. An increase of 49.05% from 99.7 million in 2017.
Based on eMarketer forecasts, the number of Amazon Prime users in the US is expected to reach 153.1 million by 2022, an annual growth of 3%.
Here’s the table with Amazon Prime user growth in the US:
|Year||Number of users|
Sources: eMarketer, Statista.
Amazon Prime Day Sales
Launched in 2015, Prime Day is an annual deal event available exclusively to Prime members.
Sales on Amazon during Prime Day reached $10.40 billion in 2020. An increase of 42.25% from $7.16 billion a year earlier.
And sales during 2020 Prime Day were 4.3x higher than the same event held in 2017.
Here’s the table on sales growth of Amazon Prime Day since 2015:
|Year||Gross sales on Amazon during Prime Day|
Source: Digital Commerce 360.
eMarketer also covers data on Amazon Prime Day sales performance, providing slightly different estimates.
Based on eMarketer findings, sales on Amazon during Prime Day reached $9.91 billion in 2020.
eMarketer also estimates that Prime Day sales have grown by 139.95% compared to the 2018 event.
Here’s the table with Amazon Prime Day sales growth since 2016:
|Year||Gross sales on Amazon during Prime Day (worldwide)|
62.26% ($6.17 billion) of total Prime Day sales represented revenue from the US market, while the remaining 37.74% ($3.74) originated from international markets in 2020.
Here’s a table with Amazon Prime Day sales growth in the US, including share since 2016:
|Year||Gross sales on Amazon during Prime Day in the US|
Here’s a table with Amazon Prime Day sales growth in non-US, including share since 2016:
|Year||Gross sales on Amazon during Prime Day in non-US|
Most popular purchases on Amazon during Prime Day
During 2020’s Amazon Prime Day (Oct. 13-14), the Echo Dot speaker was the most popular purchase worldwide.
Here’s the list of Prime Day top sellers in select countries:
|Germany and Austria||Coffee Beans|
|United Arab Emirates||Mouthwash|
|United States||Card games|
Amazon Prime revenue
Amazon Prime revenue cannot be entirely isolated from Amazon’s overall revenue. However, Amazon does disclose the net sales of all subscription services, including Amazon Prime related membership fees, digital video, audiobooks, digital music, e-books, and other subscription services (excluding AWS).
Here’s a breakdown of Amazon’t subscription services revenue:
|Year||Annual net sales of subscription services|
Sources: Amazon, Statista.
In how many countries is Amazon Prime available?
Amazon Prime is available in 19 countries as of 2020.
Here’s the table with international expansion milestones of Amazon Prime since 2007:
|Country||Year of Amazon Prime launch|
|Germany, Japan, United Kingdom||2007|
Sources: Amazon, Wikipedia.
That just about wraps up my Amazon Prime growth statistics.
While Amazon is a publicly traded company, the information they provide on their membership program is relatively limited. I’ve done my best to provide you with a comprehensive overview of Amazon Prime user and revenue data in one place.
Now I’d like to hear from you:
Any questions or comments about this collection of Amazon Prime statistics? Or maybe there’s something missing from this page?
Either way, feel free to leave a comment below.